I have had the pleasure of reading two fantastic picture books so far this year and I don’t know if I’m late to the party, but I wanted to share them with you.
I read Sulwe in January and Hair Love in February, which I can’t stop thinking about.
Zuri and Sulwe are two little girls that I feel like every child should read about.
Sulwe By Lupita Nyong’o. (Published October 15, 2019)
Sulwe follows a young girl who is dark skinned in a family where everyone is light, and it bothers her so much so that she wants to change her color. The book, through beautiful illustrations talks about owning who you are and loving yourself. Seeing your own beauty and reveling in that.
Hair Love by Matthew A Cherry. (Published May 14, 2019)
Hair Love follows a little girl who struggles with her kinky curly hair as she tries to style it. The book shows a beautiful father daughter relationship as he helps her with her hair. It beautifully talks about acceptance and self confidence and has really beautiful illustrations.
Why I Recommend These Books:
- They are both beautiful illustrated, I was in awe!
- Both are inspirationals, to young ones and even adults.
- The books really hit close to home. Every black girl should read them.
- Family is key in both books and it’s brought out beautifully
- The art, the story and the message in both books are really well done and quite needed in our society.
- They are both short and concise and quite suitable to young ones
Hair Love and Sulwe are two books I recommend to you, the little ones in your life. It makes for a great bedtime story. My little sister quite loved these two.
Have you read either Hair Love or Sulwe? (to your kids or personally) What did you think about it?