Good morning Reader! I recently shared my best books of 2022, which you can read here, and today I want to share some of my favorite books that didn’t make that list. These are books that I gave 4 and 4.5 stars and they didn’t make the 5 star mark for one reason or other but I quite liked all the same. I’ll link reviews for those I have reviewed so far.
So here are 21 books I quite enjoyed and recommend in no particular order
- Pleasantview by Celeste Mohammed
A novel told in short stories. Read my review here
- Sula by Toni Morrison
A mad book. My jaw was on the floor all through. Read my review here
- Verity by Colleen Hoover
Such a suspenseful read. Read my review here
- Unsettled Ground by Claire Fuller
Such a bleak read yet I couldn’t put it down
- When We Were Birds by Ayanna Lloyd Banwo
Such a beautiful book. Read my review here
- The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak
Elif Shafak is an all time favorite, and I fear she has no bad books. Read my review here
- The Old Drift by Namwali Serpell
A multigenerational story that is both engaging and evocative
- The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn
A conspiracy told so well!
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
What a book. Raw, mad, haunting, horrific, harrowing. Read my review here
- Seven Days In June by Tia Williams
Romance done so well.
- Here Comes The Sun by Nicole Dennis-Benn
An explororation of familial relationships and how they inform our choices and decisions.
- The Paper Palace by Miranda Cowley Heller
What a provocative book. Read my review here.
- Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
Twice read and twice loved. Read my review here
- Things They Lost by Okwiri Oduor
A coming of age story filled with magical realism. A beautiful slow burn book. Read my review here
- It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover
Honest and raw
- Butter Honey Pig Bread by Francesca Ekwuyasi
A vivid book that is quite immersive
- Thank You For Listening by Julia Whelan
Love explored in humor and great banter
- Around The World In Eighty Days by Jules Verne
An adventure packaged as a book
- From Scratch by Tembi Locke
A story on love, loss and grief
- Higher Love by Alexandria House
One of my favorite black romance of all time. Beautiful and steamy!
- Beach Read by Emily Henry
Believe the hype!
There goes my list. Books that I didn’t have physical copies of I read on Scribd, a bookish subscription service with unlimited access to ebooks and audiobooks and if you use my link, you will get 2 months free when you first sign up.
See any favorites?