When I started my bookstagram I felt alone, mostly because I was the only Kenyan bookblogger I knew. Until I a few months in and I started meeting other Kenyans bibliophiles, and I love it. We need more Kenyan book bloggers, I keep on saying. Today I introduce you to Cynthia, and this is what she said…
1. Tell me a little about yourself.
I’ll start with the obvious, I’m obsessed with books. I’m in university and I take Fine arts which is amazing cause art is my life. I also sometimes write poems cause poetry is amazing. I’m really not that interesting. My life legitimately revolves around those three things; art, books and poetry.
Oh, I love coffee(had to mention this)
2. What are you currently reading?
Well right now am slowly re-reading Pride and Prejudice with rds.crimson but also am re-reading The Dress by Natalie Meg Evans which is first time for me to read two books at a time but it’s not a big deal cause I’ve read both of them before.
3. What is your favorite genre and why?
With all honesty I don’t have a favorite genre and I believe it’s because I’ve never really focused on reading a particular genre. I normally read whatever I find or get recommended and most times I just pick up the book I get gravitated towards regardless of the genre. That being said I have realized that recently I have been reading a lot of historical fiction which to be honest I haven’t read a lot of but am going to change that.
4. What do you think about the reading culture in your country?
A couple of years ago a research was done on the reading culture in Kenya and if am not wrong ¾ of the population are not interested in reading, they are educated but they don’t consider reading an activity to do in their free time. So the reading culture Kenya is not that great but it is improving. If you love reading you should try and convert your friends and family and make them see how amazing reading is and by doing that our reading culture will definitely improve. Also visit your libraries and donate book, that will help.
5. Name 3 reading habits you have.
- I never read more than one book at a time it just doesn’t feel right unless am listening to an audio book which I have been doing a lot recently.
- I talk to myself a lot when am reading. I tend to ‘address’ the author or the characters as if they are right there next to me (I know it’s a weird habit) but I restrain myself from doing it in public.
- I can read anywhere and at anytime, noise doesn’t really affect me and I can stop at any point of the book.
6. What is the one book you recommend to people?
The Witch Of Portobello by Paulo Coelho. I read this book sometime mid-year and I loved it I always recommend it to everyone. I even lent out my copy and it came back not in the same condition but at least another person read it.
I feel like I should mention this book though I’ve mentioned it a million times, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen( I just love this book so much)
7. Where can we find you?
You can go follow on Instagram cee.reads where I post photos of my amazing books and just talk about books.
If you want to know more about what I think of the books I read go check me out on Goodreads under Cynthia Kerich .